245 total views, 6 views today
It is safe to say that dogs are the best animals to pet. Dogs come in different shapes and sizes, yet they all have one thing in common, the love for chewing a bone. So we have to choose the best chew bones for dogs.
When puppies grow, their teeth start growing too. This leads to itching and they may start chewing anything and everything they have in sight. A chewing bone will be the savior. Not just puppies, bigger dogs love chewing bones more and can be at it for hours.
While chewing a bone, some breeds may end up swallowing it unintentionally or be choked. A swallowed bone can cause numerous digestive system issues and a very hard bone may even break their teeth.
Choosing the right bone for a dog is extremely important. So, which chew bones would be perfect for a dog and which ones should be avoided?
Keeping safety in mind is very important when it comes to selecting a chew bone. There are several types of safe dog bones and safe dog chew toys available today.
Generally, dogs should not be given cooked bones as they can become brittle and face splintering that can cause serious damage to dogs. Home-made long lasting dog chews can be given too after verifying with the vet.
The best type of natural chew bone is the Marrowbone since they are rich in nutrients and are extremely healthy. Artificial bones made from rawhide or nylon is healthy too. Himalayan dog chew is an excellent brand which produces high-quality chew bones.
If none of the dog chew bones suits them, then vet recommended dog chews should be the only option.
Advantages of having best chew bones for dogs:
- Prevents chewing around the house
- Helps puppies during their teething period
- Reduces the chance of bad breath
- Removes plaque and tartar from teeth
- Prevents yellow and unhealthy teeth
- Reduces acidity in the dog’s mouth
- Chewing bones is a great dental exercise
- Helps to toughen gum and teeth
- Prevents gum diseases
- A stimulating activity; will keep dogs busy for hours
How I Selected the 5 Best Chew Bones for Dogs:
While selecting the best five chew bones for dogs, there are several factors that should be kept in mind before making any purchase.
Size and Shape:-The chew bone should have the perfect size and shape. Any size too big or too small is not advisable. A small sized chew bone may be swallowed by a big dog and a big sized chew bone may cause choking in a small dog. The bone should not be oddly shaped as that cause their tongue or muzzle to get stuck in it.
Durability:-The chew bone should not be too hard or too soft. Neither should it be of poor quality. A hard chew bone can break their teeth and affect the jaw. A soft or a poorly constructed bone can be torn to shreds and pieces by the dog. Also, remember that if the pieces are swallowed, it can cause serious illnesses. They should be durable enough to withstand a dog’s constant nibbling.
Entertainment value:-The chew bone should be a great source of entertainment for dogs that would keep them busy for hours. The perfect chew bone should be able to last long enough to satisfy the dogs chewing habits and needs.
Oral Hygiene:-Other than the obvious entertainment value, chewing bones help to maintain a dog’s oral hygiene. A dog’s mouth often smells bad and brushing their teeth is not an easy option. Chew bones should help to prevent bad breath, remove tartar from teeth and also prevent gum diseases.
Nutrients:-The chew bones should be of high quality and should easily be digestible as dogs have sensitive stomachs. They should have rich nutrients that should be delicious and also contain several health benefits.
The Peppy Pooch Braided Bully Sticks are a 6″ long all natural chew bones available in a pack of six. They are grain-free and are produced from the grass-fed cattle of the mid-west and are sold in the USA. Each braid is made from two bully sticks and may differ from each other a little since they are all natural.
These chew bones do not contain any artificial chemicals or odor, however, they do have a significant odor that dogs will love. They are fit to be chewed by medium and large dogs and also have numerous health benefits. This is a good product and is 100% dog approved.
- The main ingredient of these chew bones is beef. Beef is known to be extremely high in protein and low in fat. They help dogs to maintain a lean structure while building muscle.
- They are 100% natural dog bones, safe and contain no artificial flavors or chemicals.
- These chew bones are extremely delicious, tasty, easily digestible by dogs and will definitely keep dogs engaged for hours.
- Being natural, they are of extremely superior quality and also come with a great nutritional value for dogs.
- They encourage quality chewing and improve the dogs’ oral health and hygiene.
- 100% made in the USA.
- USDA/FDA approved to ensure a high-quality product.
- Natural, safe and risk-free.
- 100% no questions asked money back policy.
- Reduces tartar and keeps teeth healthy.
- Promotes healthy chewing habits.
- Keeps the dog’s stomach happy and healthy too.
- Dogs will love the taste of the sticks.
- Maybe over priced for some.
- May not be suitable for small dogs.
- Some dog-owners have complained about the odor.
The Blue Dental Bones is an amazing chew bone product to handle a dog’s oral hygiene issues. This product is made in the USA and is available in different sized bags of 12oz, 27oz and 36 oz.
The bones are medium sized and should be consumed by dogs who weigh from 25lbs to 50 lbs. It is not advisable for puppies. They contain several real natural ingredients that have an excellent nutritional value that not only promotes healthy chewing but also provides dogs with several health benefits.
The Blue Dental Bones should be chewed properly before consuming and while chewing these bones, dog-owners should provide water at all times.
- They are suitable for dogs with sensitive stomach and dogs that frequently suffer from diarrhea. The bones are easily digestible.
- No artificial flavors, chemicals or preservatives are added.
- They are made up of ingredients like whole ground potato, rice, glycerine, gelatin, peas, carrots, oat bran, flax seeds, etc.
- To avoid food allergies, these bones are free from gluten, corn, soy, wheat, and grain.
- The ingredients do not include chicken/poultry by-products.
- Ingredients like bran rice are an excellent source of fiber and also provide dogs with fats, proteins, and carbohydrates.
- Real ingredients like peas and carrots provide dogs with ample fibers and anti-oxidant properties.
- Especially promotes dogs’ oral hygiene.
- 97 daily dental bones are available in one packet.
- Ingredients are fine, safe and 100% natural.
- All natural ingredients are enhanced with minerals and vitamins.
- Keeps teeth whiter and stops the yellowing of teeth.
- Removes tartar.
- Keeps teeth and gums healthy.
- Prevents bad breath.
- They are soft and bendable; prone to breakage.
- Not suitable for dogs under 5 lbs.
- Maybe expensive than other brands.
The brand Nybalone manufactures healthy and wholesome meat chew edibles for dogs of different shapes, ages, and breeds. The different meat edibles range from bacon, chicken to turkey.
The bones are of high quality and are super-premium dog treats. These treats are made in the USA and are available in bags ranging from 15 lbs to more than 50 lbs. The chew sizes available are puppies, petite, regular, wolf, giant and super.
These healthy edible dog chew treat bones are made from all natural ingredients with high nutritional values that promote good dental hygiene and give dogs a chewing satisfaction.
- The chew treats have a simple recipe with limited and natural ingredients like wheat starch, potato starch, natural chicken flavor, natural bacon flavor, chicken powder, roast beef flavor, oat fiber, etc.
- The chew treats are also rich in vitamins like Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Choline, Inosital and Paba.
- They are also rich in minerals like Calcium Carbonate, Ferrous Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Oxide and Sodium Molybdate.
- These wholesome treats are guaranteed to be long-lasting.
- They are recommended for dogs with permanent teeth.
- Grain-free chew treats that are easily digestible.
- Free from corn and wheat; suitable for sensitive dogs.
- Filet-mignon flavored dog treats free from sugar or salt.
- All natural, safe and healthy treats without any added plastics or preservatives.
- Promote healthy teeth, gums and stops tartar.
- Keeps the dog’s stomach and over-all health better.
- Gluten-free formula.
- Low priced chew treats available for a larger variety of dogs.
- Extremely tasty and completely edible.
- Naturally colored; may stain light colored surfaces.
- Some dogs may suffer from bloating or diarrhea if given too often.
- Maybe too hard and difficult to chew on for some dogs.
The Purina Busy Bone Mini Dog Treat is a 21 oz. bag of twelve mini chew bones. They are available in different textures and also in different tasty flavors. They are a perfect alternative to rawhide chews.
These mini dog treats have a hard and twisted outer shell with a soft inner shell of real meat which dogs would love to chew on for hours. They are crunchy, chewy with teeth cleaning properties.
Made in the USA, they are suitable for dogs of all breeds, ages and life stages. They should be stored in a dry place and should not be given to dogs as meals no matter how much they crave for the taste of these chewy treats.
- The main ingredient of the soft core is beef. Beef is high in protein and keeps the dog healthier and leaner.
- Other ingredients include rice, glycerin, wheat flour, water, hydrogenated corn syrup, sugar, corn germ meal, salt, gelatin, sorbic acid, natural and artificial flavors that take care of the dogs’ oral dental hygiene.
- Their unique and different shape not only keeps the dogs entertained for hours, but also promotes healthy chewing habits.
- Unlike other chew treats which are unsuitable for smaller dogs, these treats are specially designed for small dogs.
- Owing to their harder texture, they are guaranteed to last long.
- The chew bones are twisty, crunchy and extremely chewy.
- The shape is visually rewarding and exciting for dogs.
- High in taste and very meaty.
- Designed to satisfy a dog’ natural instinct to chew.
- They are firm and strengthen the dog’s jaw.
- Best chew treat for strong and aggressive chewers.
- Do not have a terrible odor, unlike some other brands.
- Available at cheaper rates with free shipping and sales.
- Can be extremely hard to chew on for some dogs.
- The added preservatives may not be a healthy option for some dogs and their owners.
- Should not be eaten by dogs under one year.
The Virbac C.E.T chews are the perfect chew bones for dogs suffering from terrible oral hygiene. This brand is #1 in the home veterinary dog dental care industry and has been relevant for the past 25 years.
They are made in Mexico, manufactured and distributed in the USA. The oral hygiene chews are top recommended by vets for the dogs suffering from terrible teeth and breath.
They are available in bags ranging from a size small to extra large. Each bag contains 30 chews and should be eaten by dogs once a day to prevent plaque and tartar. Water should also be kept handy.
- The main ingredients are Beefhide, Dextrose, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Primary Dried Yeast, Potassium Sorbate, Glucose Oxidase, and Dried Whey Protein Concentrate. Being rich in protein, they keep the dogs leaner.
- These chew bones come with a special dual-enzyme system. This gives antiseptic properties along with an abrasive texture. This helps to remove tartar and also stop the build-up of bacteria’s in their mouth.
- The highly palatable poultry beef hide along with the enzymatic system helps to maintain a dog’s oral hygiene easily at home.
- Chewing these bones will help to maintain good teeth and a fresh breath when brushing their teeth every day is not an option due to time constraints of busy owners.
- #1 veterinary-recommended home dental care chew bones.
- Clinically proven to control and destroy plague forming bacteria.
- Works best to prevent tartar and smelly mouth.
- Provide dental care for dogs of any size, breed, life-stages, and temperament.
- Works well with dogs’ digestion.
- Does not aggravate any allergies.
- Prevents periodontal diseases.
- High rated by dog owners.
- The prices are extremely high.
- All the pieces in a pack can vary in sizes.
- There can be thickness variations too.
After reading this article it will be clear that chew bones do not just satisfy a dogs chewing habit, it helps in various other ways too. This article should help you to understand that chew bones are not an accessory but a necessity. From promoting healthy oral hygiene like good teeth and a nice breath to amazing health benefits, the chew bones and treats should be bought by all dog owners.
Chewing bones from a smaller age will help dogs to stop suffering from unnecessary teeth, jaw and stomach upsets later in life. Dogs that are already suffering from bad oral hygiene should use the chew bones, specifically made to serve that purpose and the best dog chew toys for aggressive chewers might just save the home decors after all.
The chew bones talked about in this article are among the best in the dog chew bone market. Selecting the perfect one should depend upon the dog’s needs and requirements. If you are a dog owner searching for the perfect chew bones, then reading this article will definitely help you to choose the best one for the precious fur balls. However, if none of the chew bone suits a dog, then taking him/her to the vet is a must.