2,000 total views, 16 views today
There is no doubt about the fact that dogs just like humans have a sweet tooth. However, their food is different and if they are made to consume the food humans consume then they are bound to fall sick. For obese dogs, best low calorie dog food diet is important to ensure their well-being.
Keeping a pet dog and looking after his/her food requirements is a difficult task. A balanced diet with all the necessary ingredients and nutrients is essential when it comes to dogs’ food requirements.
Providing the right food will not only keep them healthy but also stop them from being obese. Obesity can be one of the leading reasons why some dogs don’t live long. It is the owner’s responsibility to make sure their dogs don’t fall into this category.
A diet whose calorie count will be between 250-350 calories per 8-13 ounce cup will be the perfect diet-food for dogs. This diet will be a source of high protein with lower levels of carbohydrates and fats.
Various dog food companies now manufacture dog foods that are low calorie yet provide the necessary nutrients so that the dog does not feel hungry or weak.
Advantages of Low-Calorie Dog Food:
- Provides higher quality animal-based protein, which is known to increase muscle mass and reduce fat.
- Reduces caloric intake and promotes a healthy body composition.
- Prevents health problems like diabetes, arthritis, and pancreatitis.
- Reduces the risk of mobility problems.
- Protects the cardiac and respiratory systems.
- Normalizes blood glucose and insulin response.
- Supports joint health.
How I Selected the 5 best low calorie dog food:
Choosing the best low-calorie dog food can be difficult. Several factors should be kept in mind before purchasing one. Some of them are mentioned below.
Ingredients: A low-calorie diet food will only prove to be helpful if it contains the perfect ingredients.
They should contain at least 30% of protein. High protein and lower carbohydrate foods should be a must as they burn fat and retain muscle during the weight loss journey.
Raw fruits and vegetables should be a part of this diet too. They provide dogs with the necessary vitamins and minerals. They are also a rich source of antioxidants and phytonutrients.
Avoid: Secondly, it is important to know which foods should be avoided. Any artificial preservatives such as BHA and BHT or any artificial flavoring such as colors and dyes if added to the food, that product should be avoided immediately. Make sure to look for fillers or ingredients that are not natural before choosing the perfect diet-food.
Safety: Choosing a 100% safe and high-quality, low-calorie dog food is of utmost importance to stop any side effects like diarrhea, constipation or excessive shedding of fur in dogs.
Prevent Diseases: The low-calorie dog food should be able to reduce the chances of health risks like diabetes, arthritis, pancreatitis, cardiac and respiratory problems. They should keep the dogs’ joints healthy and also maintain healthy glucose and insulin levels. Vitamins should be included to improve the body’s natural defense system.
Others: The low-calorie food should provide ample energy for dogs in order to carry out normal physical activities throughout the day even when calories are restricted.
They should contain ingredients which will maintain intestinal health and optimize stool consistency. They should also be easily digestible, give a feeling of fullness and support nutrient absorption.
Ingredients that will promote healthier skin and coat along with a better oral dental hygiene should be the additional benefits provided by these foods.
This formula is one of the best dog food made especially for over-weight dogs. This dog food is the perfect combination of special proteins and fibers to watch a dog’s weight along with its delicious taste. This formula is considered to be one of the lowest calorie formulas in the market.
They are suitable for all breeds of over-weight dogs and are available in bags weighing 5 pounds, 15 pounds and 28 pounds. The contents of a bag pass through 9 safety tests, thereby making this brand a well-respected brand in the dog food industry. They especially suit elder and less active dogs.
- This tasty low-calorie formula helps over-weight dogs to attain a healthy weight even with calorie restrictions.
- The primary ingredients are a chicken meal, salmon meal, oatmeal, dried peas, beet pulp, and pearled barley. This combination is a rich source of high protein (26%) and high fiber.
- The oatmeal and carrots provide Vitamin E and Vitamin A respectively, which are a great source of anti-oxidants that improve their immune system.
- This formula is easily digestible, keeps the dog’s stomach happy and is also a great source of energy.
- The balanced omegas provide dogs with healthier and shinier fur.
- Balanced nutrition for adult dogs
- A special protein and fiber blend.
- Reduces fat while retaining lean muscle.
- Gives a feeling of fullness.
- Reduces between meal hunger and excessive begging.
- A great source of energy.
- Highly palatable for increased satisfaction.
- Cheaper as compared to other brands
- No shipping charges involved with the delivery.
- Ingredients are not completely natural
- Can cause more stool passage.
- Not grain-free; can cause skin irritation.
The NUTRO Lite weight management dry dog food is a tailored blend of healthy proteins and fibers to support healthy weight loss. This limited ingredient formula is made with whole brown rice along with Real Australian and New-Zealand lamb for adult dogs.
Made in the US, they are available in bags weighing 15 lbs and 30 lbs. This blend contains raw fruits, vegetables, whole-grains and healthy oils to boost a dog’s well-being. They provide 100% complete and balanced nutrition for adult or less active dogs. They can be fed alone or mixed with wet food depending upon a dog’s size and activities.
- This dry dog food contains a minimum of 23% real crude pasture-fed protein with minimum crude fat (7%) and a maximum of 11% crude fiber which helps in weight reduction and increased muscle.
- Ingredients like brown rice, peas, and oatmeal give the desired fiber content and satisfy hunger even with the caloric restriction.
- The formula is made up of non-GMO ingredients and is free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
- All ingredients added are real and packed with real vitamins, minerals and nutrients with anti-oxidant properties to improve their natural defense mechanism.
- The NUTRO brand is famous for adding only natural ingredients in their formulas that are made to suit dogs of different life stages and health conditions.
- Amino acids promote strong, lean muscles.
- Fibers keep stomach fuller for a longer time and curb hunger.
- Helps in easy digestion.
- Corn, soy protein, and wheat free formula.
- Wholesome and delicious in taste.
- Anti-oxidants promote the healthier immune system, healthy heart, and sharp mind.
- Promotes healthy eyesight and hearing.
- Contains ingredients good for healthier coat and fur.
- Genetically modified contents may be present.
- Can be expensive for some dog-owners.
This brand is popular for providing premium 100% grain-free weight control dog food for over-weight puppies and dogs. The Wellness brand is one of the most famous brands, providing 100% natural dry dog food without any artificially added flavors or preservatives.
This balanced formula not only helps in healthy weight management but also helps dogs that are suffering from allergies. The vitamins and minerals present in the formula like flax and fish omega help in eye and brain development, whereas calcium and phosphorus help to promote stronger bones and teeth.
Unlike other brands, Wellness Core provides small size for puppies. This formula should be consumed along with ample amounts of water.
- The formula contains ingredients to reduce fat quickly. The high protein-rich meat like chicken, turkey along with salmon oil promotes lean and strong muscles and also helps in healthy weight management.
- It is a great source of anti-oxidants, Probiotics, Omega Fatty Acids and more that strengthens the immune system and has several other health benefits.
- All the ingredients are natural and free from wheat, corn, soy, meat-by-products. No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives are added.
- The formula is extremely delicious, curbs hunger and increases a dog’s appetite. Also, this formula is designed to mimic a dog’s ancestral wolf.
- A balanced and complete diet for everyday feeding.
- Premium quality ingredients with great health benefits.
- Grain-free and gluten-free.
- No meat-by products used.
- 100% natural and safe without any artificially added ingredients.
- Perfect meal for allergic dogs.
- Salmon oil promotes healthier coat and fur.
- Easily digestible and has a delicious taste.
- Some dogs may be allergic to poultry.
- Maybe more expensive than other dog foods.
- Bags are re-sealable.
Manufactured in the US, this brand provides dry dog food for adult dogs aged from 1-6 years old who are either over-weight, less-active or neutered. The Hill’s Science Diet dog food is also available for smaller puppies. They are available in 4 lb, 5 lb, 17.5 lb, 28.5 lb, and 33 lb bags.
This dog food provides a balanced nutrition and helps in healthy weight management to give a light and healthy lifestyle. The ingredients present in this formula helps to reduce weight and also maintain a lifetime of happiness while restricting calories.
This premium quality food is available in dry small bites, rich in ingredients that have a great nutritional value that exceeds the industry standards.
- The basic ingredients are chicken, whole grain wheat, whole grain barley, soya bean oil, flaxseed, beet pulp and more that provides a dog with high quality and easy to digest nutrients.
- The ingredients are natural and do not contain any artificially added colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- This formula contains 18 % fewer calories than other fitness blends available in the market to lose excess weight.
- The presence of natural fibers stops a dog from feeling hungry and keeps them fuller for a long time. Also, promotes healthy stool passage.
- Vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants present in the formula help to maintain a healthy immune system.
- Natural and high-quality ingredients.
- No artificial colors, flavors, and ingredients added.
- Guaranteed fewer calories than other brands.
- Curb hunger and gives a feeling of fullness.
- Excellent source of energy.
- Clinically proven antioxidant benefits.
- Keeps a dogs coat healthy and shiny.
- 100% money-back guarantee.
- The whole grain formula may not be suitable for all dogs.
- Side effects like allergies and skin irritation.
- May cause excessive stool passage for some.
Manufactured in the US, this brand provides a 100% natural dry dog food for highly active dogs. This formula provides excellent nutrition to meet the energy requirements of active dogs by increasing stamina, reducing weight and maintaining lean muscles.
Available in 6 pounds, 15 pounds, 30 pounds, and 40-pound bag, this dry food is free from grain, soy, corn, wheat, and meat-by-products. It is also free from artificially added colors, flavors, and preservatives.
Made from real chicken, fish, and pork, this brand has been relevant in the dog food industry for over 25 years for providing high-quality premium foods for adult dogs.
- The formula is specially formulated for active dogs.
- It is rich in ingredients like chicken meal, pork meal, brown rice, peas, barley, flaxseed and more which is known to provide the perfect combination of proteins and fibers.
- Higher levels of rich protein provide ample energy and tones muscles.
- This complete, balanced diet is the perfect combination of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Enriched with ingredients rich in vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants, this formula help in the overall health of dogs.
- It is also rich in Glucosamine, which provides joint support and Probiotics that support healthy digestion.
- Balanced and complete diet for everyday feeding.
- 100% natural ingredients.
- No added flavors, colors, and preservatives.
- Grain, soy, corn, and wheat free.
- Great source of energy.
- Provides joint support.
- Easily digestible and keeps the tummy healthy.
- Delicious in taste.
- Some dogs may suffer from chicken-allergy.
- Maybe expensive for some dog-owners.
- Does not suit less active dogs.
While dealing with dog obesity problems, it is important to understand the difference between low-calorie and low-fat dog food. A low-calorie diet works on restricting calorie whereas low-fat diet works on completely cutting off the fatty foods. Some low-calorie diet foods may contain good fats like Omega fatty acids.
The dry dog foods mentioned in this article are among the best in the dog food market. Some other brands like Acana Light and Fit Dry dog food and Blue Buffalo Wilderness Healthy Weight Dry dog food can also be considered as a good option for over-weight adult dogs.
In order to help a dog lose weight fast, various weight management formulas can be used that increases their metabolic rate. Dr. Tim’s Metabolic Weight Management formula is highly recommended and information about the same can be found online.
Various weight loss dog food recipes can even be made in the house after consulting the vet. Information regarding the same can be found online, but consulting the vet is always a safer option. If a certain type of dog food causes allergies or side-effects, he/she should be taken to the vet immediately.
Keeping the several points mentioned in this article before, checking the ingredients properly and selecting the best dog food based on a dog’s body requirement is important.